VTVM Probes

Ron ra.ah at VERIZON.NET
Tue Mar 31 19:06:32 EDT 2009

Given the unavailability of the original plug, the only solution
is a standard 'mono' plug. I don't know if it will withstand
stand 1500V, either, but at 1500V, it takes 1.5mm of air
to make a spark jump The plug insulation would be 0.5mm
or so (20 thou). So it should be OK if the insulation
dielectric strength is 3 times as much as air, which it
probably is.

As to moving the 1MOhm resistor from the probe into the
case, it depends on what the VTVM is used for. Certainly,
it doesn't make sense for RF work, but why use a VTVM
for that in the first place? Personally, I use a DMM for just
about everything, except when I need an analog meter.  I
suspect most people do the same.

-- Ron