RE HW 22 shift beteew receive vs xmit freq - HELP NEEDED

Robert Groh rgroh at SWBELL.NET
Thu May 28 11:27:21 EDT 2009

Jerry,

First off, don't part it out!  You can scrap it out by sending it to me (!) but don't scrap it out. It is a bit frustrating but you should be able to dig around and figure it out.

I don't have a schematic or block diagram for the HW-22 around but, assuming it is similar to the HW-32 in general design layout, you have 3 places that frequencies are generated:
#1    The VFO (5.0 to 5.5 MHz)
#2     The Carrier Oscillator (3.395 MHz + offset)
#3     The hetrodyne oscillator (xxx MHz)

The hetrodyne oscillator mixes with the VFO and the resultant is then mixed with the IF signal to produce the desired output frequency.

One of those is possibly jumping in frequency - by the way, I think (given the frequencies you mentioned that the offset is 20 kHz not 200 kHz).

If you can use your 'test receiver', you should be able to find the bad boy.  I would also suggest that you might make note of the character of the shifted output.  I rather suspect the 'bad' frequency will be a bit drifty, noisy, etc.

Give this stuff a try and then send on some more hints.

73
Bob, WA2CKY