SB-634 Question!!

Kenneth G. Gordon kgordon2006 at VERIZON.NET
Wed Oct 21 19:23:07 EDT 2009

On 21 Oct 2009 at 12:42, Alexander N. Gerli, Sr. wrote:

> My SB-634 works OK, but maybe too OK.the clock seems to run a bit
> fast!

Mine too...in my SB-630

> It gains about five seconds per day.

About like mine does.

> My line voltage is smack on 120V,

I am assuming your clock is a mechanical synchronous one...at
least mine is...in any case, those "time" themselves on the line
FREQUENCY, 60 Hz, and the voltage applied has almost nothing to
do with their speed as long it is above a certain voltage and not too
high either.

If your clock is all digital electronics, then it uses a series of
electronic dividers to divide down the line frequency, again 60 Hz, to
drive the clock circuit. The dividing ratio is fixed and totally (well...)
accurate.

I also have a Heathkit digital clock. It too shows just about the same
difference from "true" time as the mechanical synchronous one
does.

The only possible source of this error is that the power company is
not keeping the line FREQUENCY perfectly stable or accurate.

> measured with my calibrated IM-103 Monitor.

As I said, line VOLTAGE has absolutely nothing to do with this sort
of timing error.

> There's nothing in the manual about adjusting the clock speed. Maybe
> you can't, I don't know.

Well, I know you cannot adjust either of the two types I mentioned
above. Your clock is undoubtedly one of those.

> Anyone have any suggestions?

Yes. Reset it once a day.

Ken Gordon W7EKB