GC1195/1197 Replacement Parts (was: diffusers)

Mark Shostak shostakmark at GMAIL.COM
Sun Sep 20 19:27:57 EDT 2009

Lou,

I'm replying to the list so people can see my response, and hopefully I can
see theirs.

If people have any experiences or frustrations with this(these) Heathkit
clocks, please reply.

I have several of these clocks and obtaining replacement parts is an issue.

However, I'm not sure what part is most in demand. Is it the lenses? I've
listed some options, and am curious to see what owners need most often.

Replacement items:
- Lamps
- Lenses
- Standoffs
- Lamp Sockets
- Mostek Clock Chip
- Synth Chip
- Speaker
- Electrolytic Caps (*1)
- Repair FAQ (*2)

*1 - Caps are readily available; it might be nice to have them available in
a kit, if the price were reasonable

*2 - While writing this, it occurred to me to put together a FAQ, to keep
parts lists, cross references, parts sources and best practices in one
single place.

Any interest in a FAQ from anyone, or would this be a waste of my time?

For me personally, in order of volume, here is what I've needed on a
semi-regular basis:
- Lamps
- Caps
- Standoffs
- Sockets
- Speaker

To date, I haven't needed new lenses on the original clock I built in 1980,
nor the ones I've bought on eBay. When the standoffs break, the lenses
are usually floating around in the bottom.

Personal note: I'm a purist (mostly), so please no one tell me I can get
LEDs to replace the lamps.

Let's hear your experience!

Thanks,
-Mark