SB-104/A question...

JF lhouseparker at LIVINGSTON.NET
Thu Sep 24 13:13:11 EDT 2009

Alexander N. Gerli, Sr. wrote:

> Is the mic impedance for the SB-104 high or low? Appreciate someone
> setting me straight on that.
> Vy 73,   Sandy AC1Y

The SB-104 series need Hi-Z mics, 25K or higher, with a rating of
-45 to -55 dB. The Shure 444 unamplified desk mic is one that had
a high enough audio output voltage to work very well with the
Heathkit SB-104s (I seem to recall that some of the Shure 444
series had a base switch for selecting Hi-Z or Lo-Z, and some had
preamps).

Not all Hi-Z mics put out enough voltage to drive the SB-104s: for
example, the unamplified Kenwood MC-50 does not (it can be set for
either 50K or 600 ohm impedance) - to use that particular one you
would have to add a preamp. Back when the SB-104s were being made,
I believe Heath recommended using their Hi-Z HDP-21A desk mic, made
by Electro-Voice. Later versions may have been the HDP-121 and
HDP-242.

73
John   KE5ZB