SB-104a transmitter if board "C" question

Chris Iwata ChrisIwata at AOL.COM
Fri Feb 5 01:44:03 EST 2010

The correct version is in the schematic: What's needed is a series resonant
 circuit. This theoretically has zero impedance at resonance.  So having
the  caps in parallel results in an equivalent capacitance of 140pF plus the
variable  caps value.  This network is in series with the inductor.

My SB104 (not A) has the waxed combo wired in this way.  But the null
isn't so great either.  It may be cuz of component tolerances the combo  didn't
actually resonate at 3395. Heath should probably have used a  smaller fixed
cap and larger variable cap to get more tuning range. Failing that  one can
probably spread or compress the turns on the inductor, but I was too  lazy
to melt the wax.  Read on ...

The source of this 3395Khz signal is poor balance in the diode-ring mixer
on the C board.  I put in instead 4 MATCHED Schottky diodes, then I forgot
about the trap. When I tested the original diodes they were poorly  matched.
A true purist would substitute matched diodes in ALL of the  diode-rings. I
noticed that newer Schottky diodes are pretty well  matched if in the same
lot. I guess modern technology makes tighter  manufacturing tolerances easy.

73, Chris KL7DM

In a message dated 2/4/2010 7:01:34 P.M. Pacific Standard Time,