DX-35

Kenneth G. Gordon kgordon2006 at VERIZON.NET
Wed Jun 2 17:33:41 EDT 2010

My first transmitter was a DX-35.

Bought it in 1956 just after getting my Novice ticket, and
after working all summer long as a water-boy and general
factotum for my step-father's construction company.

Cost me $85.00, which was a lot of money for me then.

Lost the power transformer a little over a year later, then a
second one about a year after that. Then the meter took a
hike, so replaced that with a new Simpson.

The problem was that I never turned it off. Never turned my
receiver off either, but that (an RAL-7) ran for more than 6
years without attention. Good old Navy gear.

Replaced the second burnt-out Heathkit transformer with
one torn out of a console TV set. Used silicon diodes, and
that "Economy Power Supply" setup.

Also got rid of that silly series B+ connection between the
oscillator and buffer stages.

I used that rig for many years afterwards, and worked a lot
of DX and did a bunch of traffic handling.

I got a derelict VF-1 and "re-kitted" it, modified it for "shift-
pot" FSK and used the combo to drive a modified BC-610
for a full KW RTTY.

I have two DX-35s now, both still have their original power
transformers. One works well, and the other one needs
restoration. Neither one looks all that good, but I like them.

Used the working one and a VF-1, with an HQ-110 in the
last Classic Exchange. Great fun.

Ken Gordon W7EKB