HW100 nightmare

Dick KF4NS kf4nsradio at VERIZON.NET
Fri Mar 19 10:47:46 EDT 2010

Great news! Continuing on the path of previous discoveries, I decided
to take another look at the final amplifier area. I jiggled the tubes
again while the rig was keyed on 80M and the plate current would shoot
all the way up, pegging the meter.

I turned it over and touched each lead and component and when I leaned
a bit on the strap between the pin 5s (control grid) that was the one.
I had already resoldered all leads and components in the finals so
that was not it. I powered down and bent the strap away from the
socket which bent the socket tabs. I powered up again and started to
check the TX for each band.

Every band loaded just fine. 10M is only putting out 40-50W but no
erratic behavior or chattering of the relays. Plate current looks
good. For all practical purposes the rig is up and running. Now I have
the decision to make on whether to strip the finals and replace the
sockets and all components while I am at it, or just leave well
enought alone considering all the time and effort to this point.

The plate current meter is still wacko. BIAS must be full ccw at all
times and that gives me -81v/-78v bias rx and tx. I am out of ideas on
that one. Meter and switch is fine, working on all other positions.

Any opinions?

73, Dick KF4NS
St Petersburg, FL 33714 USA
Keep The Glow!