HW100 nightmare

Jeramy Thibodeaux kg4azt at EARTHLINK.NET
Fri Mar 19 23:38:43 EDT 2010

David,

I believe what you are saying is true where voltages are concerned.  Factors
contributing to this phenomena are the age of components especially
capacitors that have increased in ESR, the type of meter used to initially
make the measurements compared to the type of meter used today, questionable
calibration of the test equipment, and changes in supply voltage over the
years from the 110V to the 120V standard are just a few.

One thing that could make what you are saying true.  If the resistors are
measured in circuit the value could read out of tolerance on the low side.
This usually means that there are other resistors or components in parallel
with the resistor being measured.  The circuit will have to be broken by
de-soldering one lead of the resistor and lifting it out of the circuit.
Then the resistor can be measured and verified that it is within tolerance.

I have to agree with Herman that it is cheap and can solve a lot of the ills
by simply replacing any resistor that is measured with a DMM and found to be
grossly outside of it's rated tolerance.  It is well documented about the
problems associated with carbon composition resistors changing value with
age and heat.  Some circuits tend to be more forgiving to component changes
than others or the circuits were intentionally designed with a means to
adjust the tolerance.  Using a properly calibrated analog meter should give
similar indications even if they do not show the exact same value as the
DMM.

Jeramy
kg4azt