SB-200 issues...

Kenneth G. Gordon kgordon2006 at VERIZON.NET
Mon Mar 29 15:12:41 EDT 2010

The other day, I noticed that my SB-200 with supposedly
new finals, was showing much reduced output, which, on
80 meters, is usually about 700 watts.

Checking the plate idle current, I found that it was just
barely moving the meter.

I have recently installed one of those Harbach SK-201,
soft-key kits in order to use it with my TS-940SAT.

Thinking that perhaps C-19 (?) the 2 mfd 150 VDC cap was
shorted, I temporarily removed it from the circuit. There was
no change.

Jumpering the proper end of R-16 33 ohms 1 watt to
ground, thereby bypassing the SK-201, I find close to 90
mA of idle current (at least within the accuracy of my plate
(cathode) current metering resistors), which according to
the manual is about right.

I have yet to temporarily install a 0-100 mA meter in the
centertap of the filament transformer to be more certain of
the idle current, but in the meantime:

since the SB-200 apprently does not use any fixed grid
bias, am I correct in assuming that the two resistors, R-16
33 ohms, 1 watt, R-15, the 1.5 ohm metering resistor, and
the two 33 ohm 1 watt resistors, R-21 and R-22 are the
sole sources of grid bias?

I have the schematic for the Harbach SK-201. The "switch"
in that unit is a MOSFET. At this point, it is looking to me as
though that MOSFET is bad, exhibiting high resistance
when "closed", but if it is bad,1) what could cause it to go
"bad", and 2) why does the system still appear to properly
operate the relay?

I am confused.

Ken Gordon W7EKB