HW100 NIGHTMARE saga THE END!

Kenneth G. Gordon kgordon2006 at VERIZON.NET
Mon Mar 29 11:22:47 EDT 2010

On 29 Mar 2010 at 9:55, Dick KF4NS wrote:

> Halleluiah ! It works great on all bands, 80M-15M 90W out, 10M 70-80W,
> no trouble tuning whatever.

Congratulations on your success. It is always a very nice
feeling when things work properly again.

I will say, however, that your power outputs are a bit low. In
my experience, IFF the tubes are all up to par, this is
caused by incomplete alignment.

To do the alignment properly, one MUST follow the
sequence as shown in the manual exactly, i.e., 80 first,
then 10, 15, 20, 40, setting the driver/preselector knob at
the correct points as shown in the manual.

The power output of every SB/HW allbander I have worked
on consistently show 110 watts output on 80, 100 watts
output on 40 through 15, and 90 watts output on 10.

40 meters is particularly difficult to deal with since the way
the driver grid and plate coils are set up, the bandwidth on
40 is barely enough to cover the whole band, whereas on
every other band, the bandwidth is enough to cover 500
KHz above and/or below every ham band except, perhaps,
10 meters.

By changing the heterodyne oscillator crystals
appropriately, one can use the SB/HW allbanders on
various MARS frequencies quite easily also. They work
similarly to the KWM-2A in that regard.

vy 73,

Ken Gordon W7EKB