Off topic: Crimp connectors

Kenneth G. Gordon kgordon2006 at VERIZON.NET
Mon May 24 17:27:57 EDT 2010

On 24 May 2010 at 12:51, Ron Kramer wrote:

> I am using crimp connectors in wiring up solar chargers to solar
> panels. Would it be better to solder the connector after crimping the
> wire or just crimp the wire only? The crimp connectors are screwed to
> barrier strips. The system is running 12v 1 amp.

It sort of depends on how much movement there might be.

 If the units are not going to move much, if at all, then **I**
would solder them.

Unless you get one of those crimp tools with the "tooth" in
it, crimp connections rely on the crimp-fitting maintaining
some form of spring-tension on the wire(s) involved, and
we all know that that tension will "go away" in short order.

Loose fittings mean increased resistance, increased
resistance means ohmic losses, etc.

However, soldering wires makes them brittle, thus the
question about movement.

Furthermore, if you accidentally make a cold-solder or poor
solder joint, the connection would be not much better than
a crimp connection and could fail equally quickly.

Ken Gordon W7EKB