Off topic: Crimp connectors

Kevin Ward n2ie at ARRL.NET
Tue May 25 21:01:05 EDT 2010

  This question comes up over and over, and I always see contradicting
answers.  So here's my two-cents worth.

I used to work in avionics.  Whenever we made wiring harness for new
radio installations we _always _avoided soldering.  Vibration and wire
movement are the reasons.  Besides the fact that even an experienced
technician can make a bad solder joint, solder can actually compromise a
wire/connector joint.

Stranded wire is used in the harness for flexibility.  Even a little
excess solder will wick up the stranded wire, essentially turning it
into a solid, and quite rigid, wire.  If the wire needs to flex at that
point, as when putting radios in and taking them out, it does.  But
bending solid wire repeatedly is an easy way to break it, and that is
exactly what happens.

SOP from the radio manufacturers mandated _crimp only_, and _only with
the approved tool and connector pins and specified wire size and strand
count_.  The resistance of the proper crimp will easily match a solder
joint, which is primarily made up of a higher resistance metal than
either the wire or the pin.

So how does that apply here?  Ask yourself when you make up a wire
harness, "Do I have to allow for movement or vibration?"  If the answer
is no, use either technique.  If it's yes, buy the proper tool, the
correct connector, and the matching wire.

Kevin  N2IE
(ok - i'll put away the soapbox now.)