SB-301/SB-401 Functional Repair Guidelines

Robert Groh rgroh at SWBELL.NET
Sat Oct 2 11:10:05 EDT 2010

I have actually tackled my SB-300/400 pair so I speak only from experience on
other radios and from prior comments on this and other lists so here goes:

#1: As you noted, all the electrolytics are suspect. Some or all may be ok - now
- but they will probably fail at some time.  So best to tackle them now. I did
have the caps in an old HP scope (circa 1959 vintage) which came back to life
(gradual power up on a variac over 4 or 5 hours) with no problem.  But then that
is HP!  Replacing radial lead caps is easy.  Replacing the can types is really a
bit of a hassle. The whole key is leakage current - if low, you can leave alone.
Not sure how to check that easily.  If they run hot - that is sure indicator of
'badness' - usually will be a self-revealing thought.

#2: Resistors are almost sure to have drifted off in value - sometimes drifted a
lot (usually up in value by 100's of percent)!  So I would plan on checking many
of them with an ohm-meter particularly those in circuits where the value is
somewhat critical.

#3:  DeOxit or equivalent on all the contacts, a bit of good thin machine oil in
the bushings and a shot of pot cleaner in the variable R's. All of them.

#4:  Other caps can fail - the ceramics seem to be pretty reliable, the other
types not so much.  I would leave finding those to the point in time where you
are trying to find problems (i.e. don't replace unless they are really a
problem).

#5:  Grounds seem to come up as a problem frequently so maybe loosen up mounting
screws on boards and then re-tighten just as precaution.

#6:  As you noted, changing to modern 3-wire plug is (in my mind but not
everyone agrees) an essential.

So let us know how you make out.  And, by the way, a SawzAll is not an
electronic tool of choice !  (Private joke).

73
Bob, WA2CKY