[Heath] HW100 stringing of load control pulleys

Gordon Gwillim ve5uj at yahoo.com
Wed Apr 20 08:59:28 EDT 2011

Hi Dick. I can do it but have no hope of describing how by this keyboard.  Grew
up restringing radio dials as they wore out often in those days. All of the dial
twisters weren't hams.
There is something to be said for "rubber bands" and I guess that was the
thinking behind the original Heathkit design.
I make my own drive belts from larger O rings and glue. If you make the ring
just about 1/4 inch shorter than what it measures around the two pulleys and
then be careful to make exact 90 degree cuts to the O ring with a sharp box
cutter knife, then the stuff we call "crazy glue" will make the ring into a belt
again. I usually manage to wreck a few before I get a good one but they work
fine when it is done correctly.  I use the same procedure here on the farm to
make O rings of sizes I don't have on hand, or to shorten ones that have become
stretched. Once marked, the two ends of the cut  O ring can be laid side by side
and a single cut with the razor knife will make matching surfaces.  The glue
sticks instantly so you have to get the ends together correctly the first time
or you have to start over.  I have the glue that comes in larger amounts and is
slower drying and has to be stored in the refrigerator. It is a bit more
forgiving and will allow some alignment after the first contact. Good luck with
the Heathkit.
Gordon.