[Heath] soldering stations & Alps switches

Robert Groh rgroh at swbell.net
Mon Jun 13 10:12:18 EDT 2011

IMHO a soldering station is nice but not necessary. A thermostatically
controlled soldering iron is a very nice thing to have when working on modern PC
boards where you need to be able to get in close and solder/unsolder delicate
connections.

For discrete wiring and the older pc boards with through hole components, any
decent soldering iron will do the job.

In any case, keeping the iron tip in good shape is essential.

I have both an old Weller soldering station (actually bought at Heathkit back in
the late 1970's) and a Weller soldering gun (which I've owned from the 1950s)
and use both as is appropriate. You should have a sponge (with water) readily
available to wipe the tip on, keep the tip well bathed in solder and use a good
solder sucker when removing parts (I like the kind of solder solder that has a
pressdown and latch type plunger).

If I was buying a 'solder system' to use, I would get:
*  a thermostatically controlled soldering iron or solder station with several
tips of different sizes
*  a good old 100W soldering gun for those times you just need a lot of heat
*  a tip cleaner
*  a good solder sucker (plunger type with lock and trigger)

73
Bob Groh. WA2CKY