[Heath] Need NEW replacement knobs for Heathkit VF-1

Glen Zook gzook at yahoo.com
Mon Jun 27 22:04:19 EDT 2011

Comparing the value of the dollar from 1956 to 2011 at

http://www.dollartimes.com/calculators/inflation.htm

shows that the price of the DX-35 in 2011 would be $465.76!

Or, going the other way, the price of the knobs in 1956 would be $6.96!

Actually, I am lucky to break even on the knobs since each one takes quite a bit of work.  First of all, the resin has to be formed in the mold which includes installing a metal retainer for the setscrew.  Next, after the resin has hardened the bottom of the knob has to be sanded to obtain the proper thickness.  Then the hole in the knob has to be drilled out to the proper diameter.  That is followed by painting the correct color.  Finally, the setscrew has to be installed.

The original knobs were injection molded which, after setup costs, is really cheap.  Unfortunately, just the proper mold for a single knob costs between $5000 and $10,000 if professionally made.  Then there is the cost of the injection molding equipment which is in excess of $50,000.

Actually, since I don't make any profit on the knobs after taking into consideration all the labor involved, I don't "push" them.  They are available as a service to those who really need them.

I had to remake all of my Heath knob molds because the old ones were wearing out.  This time I was able to make the molds so that the holes in the center could be marked when the resin was hardening.  Before, I had to use a template when drilling each knob.  The "little red knobs" still require a template.  However, that is the only Heath knob that still requires using such.  Also, I am now using a resin, slightly more expensive than before, which allows me to add red dye and therefore don't have to paint the red knobs as before.  Frankly, painting the little knobs red often resulted in the fact that the knobs just were not suitable.  The red dye puts the color throughout the knob that results in a MUCH better finish.  The other knobs still have to be painted.  However, because of the larger size, that does not present any challenge.

Glen, K9STH

Website:  http://k9sth.com