[Heath] Heath ID-5001

Craig cwill10041 at aol.com
Wed Mar 16 11:31:23 EDT 2011

I have an ID-5001 Weather Computer with the fluorescent display bulb that won't light.  I built the unit in 2008 from a new kit and it has functioned perfectly for 2 years.  The replacement bulb I purchased will not light either.  All other data and functions are working fine.  I unplugged the socket that feeds the fluorescent bulb sockets because I noticed that the bracket (heat sink) coming off Q307 (Part # 417-856) a MJE5979 transistor was getting extremely hot while the other bracket from transistor Q302 remained cool.  I feel I may have a bad component in the lighting/dimming circuit on the power supply board but I don't know where to start.  I know that historically, this fluorescent display was problematic and I really do not want to convert to LED's.  Any ideas as to what commonly goes bad on these?  As I say verything else works fine.
Thanks,
Craig