[Heath] Heath ID-5001

Mark Shostak shostakmark at gmail.com
Wed Mar 16 14:47:26 EDT 2011

Craig,

You built it in 2008? Wow.

>  I feel I may have a bad component in the lighting/dimming circuit
>  on the power supply board but I don't know where to start.

I'll restate the obvious, just to give you a place to start.

1) Refer to the "In case of difficulty" section of your manual // usually
pretty good
2) Verify the required power supplies for the lamp are all present (and in
tolerance)
3) Verify the control signal from the Z-80 board is valid (i.e. it's being
told to light the lamp)

Since you've already replaced the lamp, once you do all of the above, you'll
know for sure that it's a lamp driver board issue. It probably is, but don't
pull your hair out until to verify the obvious.

As long as the magnetics are good, and if they're not, there's probably
visible evidence present, you (or someone) will be able to fix the original
board.

You can trouble shoot the circuit following the "Theory of operation"
section of the manual (e.g. is the oscillator running, is the driver good,
etc. etc.).

The purist in me agrees with you about not hacking it up with LEDs.

Let us know how you make out with the above, and if you get stuck again.

Thanks,
-Mark