[Heath] SB104 question

Mike Bryce prosolar at sssnet.com
Tue Nov 1 11:58:29 EDT 2011

Heathkit, like so many others at the time, used a bit of smoke and mirrors in the design of the display of the 104

In a nut shell, the display is nothing more than a frequency counter.

they use presets to 'preset' the display

pull or lift out all the boards except for the 'a' board and the 'b' board

put the band switch in the 3.5 mhz position

release the usb, lsb and cw switches. (all out)

power up the rig

you should see 6600.0

press usb and 6603.6

press lsb and 6606.4

and cw and 6604.3

if you don't then there's a counter problem. Start by verifying that the counter has a good solid +5 volts to it.

then power down, pull the counter board and gently remove the IC one at a time, then reset it into it's socket. Do just one IC at a time so you don't mess up where they went.

It's possible that you have a fubar driver chip on the display board, But I've found that they usually fail they cause missing segments or dual segments to light.

just sub out one of the chips on the display and see what happens

Let me know...

Mike, WB8VGE