[Heath] HD-8999

Terry Perdue k8tp at comcast.net
Thu Apr 12 15:17:36 EDT 2012

Hi Ken -

(I hope this is the way to reply to your question, as I haven't done
that in a long time.)

I designed the HD-8999 and HD-1410 (and SA-5010), so you've reached the
right guy!

Unfortunately, what you'd like to do would be pretty difficult. You'd
have to rewire your curved keyboard to match the matrix in the HD-8999
keyboard, making appropriate substitutions for the special keys, and
then use a multi-wire cable to connect the two.

But... It turns out I also designed a keyer for AEA, the KK-1, which
allows you to use an external keyboard, and even use a 'hotkey' to
switch the keyboard between the keyer and your computer if you want to
save table space. It also has the code practice modes. It was designed
for use with the older keyboards that used a DIN connector, but I assume
it would work with an adapter to the newer style - never tried it. You
can also plug external paddles into it, OR use the paddle jack as an
RS-232 interface to a computer for loading memories. I have a new unit,
still in the box, but it's been a long time since I've used one, so I've
forgotten a lot of the details. I think the memory size is the same as
the HD-8999, but I'm not sure. And you'd have to build a simple RS-232
to TTL convertor to use it with the computer. AEA offered a cable that
had the convertor built into the DB-9 connector. There wasn't much to it
- just a couple transistors and a few other parts.

You might find a KK-1 on ebay. I'll probably never use mine, but have
kept it for nostalgia sake. But I might trade it for something - test
equipment is always of interest. Let me know if you're interested.

Terry K8TP
k8tp at comcast.net