[Heath] Results of experiment with reactivation of 572Bs in SB-200

Jerry Haigwood jerry at w5jh.net
Wed Aug 8 18:44:18 EDT 2012

Hi Ken,
     Your experience with Chinese 572B tubes has been totally opposite than
mine.  I find the Chinese tubes to be of excellent quality.  The dealers I
have dealt with will also accept any defective tube back without a question.
I haven't had any defective tubes but another person I know found one of his
1+ year old Shuguang made tube down to air.  It evidently had a slow leak
around one of the pins.  The dealer took it back and replaced it even though
it was out of warranty.  I am currently running a pair of RF Parts labeled
Chinese made tubes which I suspect are actually Shuguang made.  So, you are
telling me my Chinese made Shuguang, re-labled RF Parts tubes "are very
marginal even when new." Well, my tubes are performing well and have been
performing well for about 6 months now.  I run them at 600W peak output.  I
do not see any effects of them going away soon.  They're producing the same
power as they were when they were new.  The problem with short tube life is
usually due to overdriving the tubes.  The SB-200 amp has a gain of about
10-12db.  Therefore you should never put more than 50-60 watts into the amp
or you will be overdriving it.  Forget ALC, it clamps only after the tube
has already been overdriven.  It is sort of like closing the gate after the
horses have gotten out!  At 55 watts input to the amp, I get 600-650W
output.  To see peak power you need a peak detecting wattmeter.  Very few
wattmeters are actually peak detecting.  I currently use a Telepost LP-100A
Digital Vector Wattmeter.  A single dot from your keyer will show you the
peak power output from your amplifier.  If you can't see peak power output
with only a single dot from your keyer, you do not have a peak reading
wattmeter!  I worked for a tube manufacturer for 5 years as an engineer.
All tubes require aging to activate the cathode and to burn off impurities
such as oxygen.  Your re-aging schedule for these 572B tubes is highly
suspect.  Since we don't know how the manufacturer made the tubes or his
process for aging, it hard to determine any type of re-aging schedule for
them.  We should never apply a "generic" re-aging schedule designed for
304ths or such to any modern day manufactured tube.  It is like using 1930
repair techniques on a modern day microprocessor controlled radio.  It just
doesn't work!  Since you have said, "I doubt if I will ever buy another
Chinese-made so- called '572B'," I am guessing you will be buying Russian
built Svetlana 572Bs and adjusting the bias correctly or converting all of
your amps to something else (I am not even sure Svetlana makes 572Bs
anymore).  There are no US manufacturers of 572Bs and I doubt if anyone is
going to start up making them soon (perhaps they could make 572Bs and buggy
whips at the same time?).  BTW, you will find 4CX250B tubes very hard to
cool.  You need to figure out how to move 6.4CFM of air at .82 inch of water
back pressure.  It is hard to find a blower to meet those requirements.
Dayton makes good blowers but their blowers will not fit onto the SB-200
very well.  It would be best to mount the 4CX250Bs in a sub-chassis in the
SB-200 and remote mount the blower under the desk or wherever.  A better
method for cooling 4CX250Bs is to pressurize the top of the chassis and use
a Teflon chimney which fits tightly around the tube plate and fits tightly
against the top of the chassis.  Holes for the air to escape can be drilled
at the top of the chassis directly above the Teflon chimney.  The air can
then escape through the anode cooler, up the Teflon chimney, and out of the
holes.  Small holes can be drilled into the bottom of the sub-chassis to
allow some air to escape out of the bottom past the tube pins providing
cooling for the pin connections.  Good luck with your conversion.
Jerry W5JH