[Heath] Mohawk alignment problem

Alexander N. Gerli ac1wye at gmail.com
Sun Aug 19 19:53:29 EDT 2012

Hi, gang,

Well, the Mohawk I’ve been working on is humming away on the bench. I
decided to peak the 1682kc and 50kc IFs before really trying to tune stuff
in. Good thing I did, because the rearmost 1682kc can was a fair way off and
peaked up a lot, less so for the other three cans, although they did bring
the calibrator signal on the S-Meter up. The two 50kc transformers also were
off, but peaked up well. Nothing like component aging to change things
around, eh?

Somewhere in the S-Meter Zero chain, there’s a fixed resistor which must be
off the charts, because the Zero wirewound pot is all the way at one end at
zero. I can easily get at the wirewound pot, and there’s a suspicious fixed
½-watter in there.

So far, 80 and 40 seem to be pretty close and signals sound all right,
although the IF gain needs to be backed off for the megawatters on 75
metres.

Does anybody have that elusive pair of preset trimmers marked “osc” and
“mixer”, that are used to bend 20 metres to 10 metres for receiving WWV so
the Calibrator can be zero-beated? I don’t have an accurate calibrator
source to compare with. If someone has these, might I borrow them?

Once this guy’s going OK, the Marauder (ooof) is next

73,

Sandy AC1Y

Alexander N. (Sandy) Gerli

'Corgi Cottage'

548 Allred Mill Road

Mount Airy, NC 27030-2202

919-625-7181

A Scotsmen walks about 900 miles each year

Scotsmen drink about 40 gallons of whisky each year

Scotsmen get about 25 miles per gallon