[Heath] Heathkit GW-10 CB Transceiver

Donley donley.dn at comcast.net
Wed Aug 29 14:21:51 EDT 2012

I bought the above mentioned CB transceiver several years ago with the intent of trying to convert it to 10 M. I finally got around to looking at it and found some anomalies. The variable receive function is supposed to tune from channel 1 (26.965 MHz) up to channel 23 (27.255 MHz). However, with the tuning capacitor fully meshed, the lowest channel attainable is channel 10 (27.075 MHz). Channel 23 is reached with the tuning capacitor only 50 % meshed. I can actually reach 27.455 MHz (above channel 40) with the tuning capacitor fully open.

I don't know if a previous owner had a tuning tool and didn't know how to use it. I would first like to try to restore the GW-10 to the proper tuning range before trying anything else.

Any suggestions about how to go about realignment to get the variable tuning capacitor back to what I would guess should be the original range.

Is there any opinion about whether the GW-10 has enough leeway to get to 10 M? Or maybe I have already spent too much time with it and should forget about it.

73
Richard
KC9UB