[Heath] More SB-200 joys...

G3OOU at aol.com G3OOU at aol.com
Sat Jan 14 14:08:48 EST 2012

Hi Ken

Thanks for the update on the SB200 work.

I am in the final throes of refurbishing an SB-101 to which I had
previously added top band.

Had to change about 30% of the half watt carbon resistors which had all
aged high and well out of spec.

The LMO switch needed a good clean and I found a leaky 6AU6 at V3 which had
 a major effect on Rx AGC. Substituted an IEC type which works fine.

Changed the Rx RF stage to a 6HS6 which increased the sensitivity somewhat
but not surprised as the slope is almost twice that of the 6AU6 - will not
help with the dynamic range though as 40m is very busy in the evenings with
 large BC signals. The heaters also needed re-balancing as the 6HS6 takes
450mA which is 150mA more than the 6AU6.

The S meter zero preset pot also needed changing and the PA neutralising
adjusting.

Works much better and gives 100W plus on all bands except 10m where it  is
about 90W. Now I just have to find a replacement bandwidth knob, box it  up
and move on to the next project.

73

Bob

Bob F Burns
C Eng,  FIET, MSE
Amateur Radio Callsign: G3OOU
Registered RSGB  Instructor
G-QRP Member No: 6907; Zone: 14, QRA: IO91WH; WAB:  TQ25
Secretary of Crystal Palace Radio & Electronics Club: _www.g3oou.co.uk_
(http://www.g3oou.co.uk/)
Technical web site: _www.qsl.net/g3oou_ (http://www.qsl.net/g3oou)