[Heath] More SB-200 joys...long...

Kenneth G. Gordon kgordon2006 at frontier.com
Sat Jan 14 18:13:28 EST 2012

On 14 Jan 2012 at 14:59, Guy Giacopuzzi wrote:

> Assuming the 47 ohm resistors are the plate parasitics, and they're
> that different in value, I'm curious how you can have almost full
> output?  I'm used to a 200' giving me about 600 rf out.... Guy...

Remember that those resistors' only purpose is to load the coils to
make them more broad-banded, and that the resistors are essentially
shorted for DC by the parasitic choke coil.

Therefore, their difference in resistance has no effect on the
voltage reaching the tube's plates.

What the difference in resistance shows is that one or the other of
the tubes is exhibiting a serious oscillation at some VHF frequency,
heating the coil, and cooking the resistor.

My SB-200, when everything is working correctly, and with new finals,
in CW, outputs 750 watts on 80 meters, 700 on 40 and 20, and 650 on
15 and 10, withOUT "overdrive". I.e., with grid current well under
100 mA.

Ken W7EKB