[Heath] SA-2060 tuner question

Chris Kepus ckepus at comcast.net
Fri Jan 27 14:18:24 EST 2012

CQ all SA-2040 and SA-2060 users...CQ

I am using my SA-2060 to tune a G5RV and an end fed long wire.
The G5RV feed line is coax, the end fed LW is, yep, a single wire.

My question relates to whether or not the LW can remain connected to the
tuner if there is a coax fed antenna connected to either J1 or J2 coax
inputs on the remote sensor (and vice-versa).

There is a conflict in how the manual describes the hook ups (as I read it
at least).

On page 51 of the manual in paragraph 3, the manual states (I have edited
for brevity):
"3. When you use a single feedline connected to J3, you MUST have NO coax
feedline connected to either J1 or J2 coax inputs...you must then turn the
feedline switch (SW101) to an open connector position. If you do not follow
this procedure, you will have two feedlines in parallel."

The conflicting info is on page 52 in paragraphs 2. and 3. in the
"SINGLE-WIRE ANTENNAS" section.

Here's how the manual describes the hook ups:

2. Connect the antenna to SINGLE WIRE connector J3.....

3. Be sure *either* COAX 1 (J1) *or* COAX 2 (J2) is open. Turn antenna
switch (SW101) to the open jack connection.

Etc, etc.....

I don't have a schematic and haven't popped the hood yet as the tuner is
buried under equipment.  However, I do have my LW and G5RV both hooked up to
the tuner.  I operated on 20, 15 and 10 during the NA QSO party with a TT
580 Delta barefoot and was able to get contacts on all bands.  The only odd
thing I noticed was that while the SWR was always adjusted to be below 1.2
to 1, the TT, while rated at 200 watts input, was only able to muster 50
watts out (CW key down).

When using the G5RV, I turned SW101 to the G5RV position, and when using the
LW, I turned the switch to the open coax position per the instructions on
p52.  The SA-2060 tuned both antennas without issue, and the positions of
the Transmitter and antenna matching caps and the inductors were different
for each antenna suggesting to me,  despite what is said on p51 para 3 of
the manual,  that the antennas are not in parallel.

Lastly, there is no warning in the manual's "Coaxial-Fed Antenna" hook up
instructions that says to disconnect any single or two wire feedlines when
using coax.

(I didn't read p51 that closely when connecting things up initially...went
straight to the specific info on p52.... ignorance is bliss in this case??)

What say all you SA-2060 (and SA-2040) users?  Also, if someone has a
schematic they can scan, I would sure appreciate a copy.

Thanks,
Chris
W7JPG