[Heath] SB-104 VFO question

G3OOU at aol.com G3OOU at aol.com
Fri Jul 20 10:17:12 EDT 2012

Hi Sandy

If the audible signal jumps in frequency as you tune then it is probably
the rotary contact(s) on the VFO tuning capacitor that have dried out or you
have an intermittent contact somewhere in the VFO. The former is a common
problem on the SB-Line valve rigs and is easy to cure once you can get at
the  tuning capacitor to re-lubricate the bearings and sliding contacts.

I recall that another suggestion was to solder a length of braiding between
 the rotor and the body of the tuning capacitor although I have not tried
that on  my rigs.

73

Bob

Bob F Burns
C Eng,  FIET, MSE
Amateur Radio Callsign: G3OOU
Registered RSGB  Instructor
G-QRP Member No: 6907; Zone: 14, QRA: IO91WH; WAB:  TQ25
Secretary of Crystal Palace Radio & Electronics Club: _www.g3oou.co.uk_
(http://www.g3oou.co.uk/)
Technical web site: _www.qsl.net/g3oou_ (http://www.qsl.net/g3oou)