[Heath] HW100 IF voltages

Dick KF4NS kf4nsradio at verizon.net
Mon Jun 4 18:52:12 EDT 2012

It appears that I am really getting senile. Things like this were never confusing to me. I am trying to
raise the 2nd IF output voltage to compensate for the additional load of my added capacitor and coax for
an IF output for my SB-610 receive monitor.

What I did was decrease the screen resistor back to the original 1K from the 10K mod which was intended
to reduce the 2nd IF output and increase the BFO level. The assumption was that the IF was too high and
exceeded the BFO output.

I made the change to 1K and took measurements at the plate of V4 with my TEK scope. Before the change I
was reading -8.2V RF WITHOUT the SB610 tap connected and -7.5V WITH it connected. After the return to a
1K screen resistor I was reading -7.8V WITHOUT the SB610 tap connected and -6.1V WITH it connected.

Here is where I get all turned around. Why does the IF signal drop with a lower value screen resistor?
With an increase in screen voltage due to the smaller screen resistor, why does the output go down? I can
understand the drop due the extra load from the IF tap for the 610. I also noticed that the signal level
at the receive output is lower WITH the 1K resistor with a constant level signal into the receiver input.
I get the feeling that I should not only have seen an increase of IF signal output along with a stronger
audio output signal.

I am totally losing my knowledge of theory or I am misinterpreting my test results.

Can someone get me back on track please ?

Thanks and 73, Dick KF4NS
St Petersburg, FL 33714 USA
Keep The Glow!