[Heath] The Heathkit IP-27

Kenneth G. Gordon kgordon2006 at frontier.com
Tue Jun 5 19:04:52 EDT 2012

I have one of the subject power supplies here which was given to me. It was obviously
factory-built and is immaculate inside, although the outer case is very dirty.

The trouble is, it appears that more than one of the original Germanium PNP transistors in it
have either deteriorated, or are bad, as it doesn't work properly, especially at voltages above
25 volts where the "Fine" voltage adjust control has no effect on output voltage, although it
DOES vary the output voltage over a narrow range at lower voltages output.

Furthermore, the over-current relay keeps activating, even with no load.

According to the "Troubleshooting Guide" in the manual, both of these indicate problems with
the transistors.

I have researched the original transistors, both as to specifications, and as to availability and
cost.

Cost is simply astronomical, WHEN they can even be found!

Although there are NTE cross-referenced subs for most of these, I have always been a bit
disappointed in NTE subs as they don't always exhibit the same characteristics as the
originals. Besides, those aren't any less expensive than the originals.

I am now toying with the idea of completely reversing the polarity of every polarity-sensitive
device in this power supply, and substituting Silicon NPN transistors with almost identical
specifications for ALL the PNP Ge devices.

The power supply has very good characteristics, and would be very useful in my work here.

Furthermore, the circuit is quite simple, and doesn't have any trick circuits included.

What do you folks think of this idea? Am I considering making a silk-purse out of a sow's
ear? ;-)

I have yet to find a decent schematic of a more modern design for a switchable, variable-
voltage variable-current supply with current-limiting, or I would simply use the main power
supply as the source and replace everything else with a more up-to-date circuit.

Output voltages from this thing are 0.5 VDC to 50 VDC in 5 volt increments, and current-
limits are able to be set to from zero to 50 mA, 150 mA, 500 mA,and 1.5 A. Ripple is
miniscule and voltage variation, no-load to full-load, is +/- 15 mV over the entire range, or can
be set to zero (!) for any single voltage over the entire current range up to 1.5 A.

Comments?

Ken W7EKB