[Heath] The Heathkit IP-27

MICHAEL TALLENT mwtallent at comcast.net
Fri Jun 8 15:03:48 EDT 2012

OK, I fixed my IP-27.  The DTG-600 and one of the 2N2869-2N301 pass
transistors were bad.  I have several 2N2869's so I used them as
replacements and the IP-27 works just fine and all the controls seem normal
with no noise or ripple on the output up to 1 amp load.

I then put silicon PNP 2N5884 devices for Q1 and Q4-5 and put 2N2907's for
Q2-3.  The supply worked but I was not able to get the current limit range
to go beyond about 2/3's of full scale and the voltage range was shifted up
somewhat as the minimum voltage that could be set on the lowest scale was
about 1 volt instead of the .5 volt, but the controls did work normally
within these ranges.  I did not adjust any of the cal pots, they may correct
for some of these changes.  I think what needs to be modified is the current
limit values to correct for the higher Vbe of the silicon devices, as
expected.

For now I will put back in the Ge devices and use the supply.

I used my Heath IM-36 to test the transistors, worked great.

Mike T  W6MXV  retired circuit designer