[Heath] Fw: Heathkit SB-610

Robert Groh rgroh at swbell.net
Thu Mar 8 12:25:10 EST 2012

Guess what?  On my previous email, I'm wrong.  Or at a minimum, not entirely
correct.  We do NOT have a capacitive divider. My bad.

I dug up a copy of the SB-610 manual and threw down some sketches on a piece of
paper. The SB-610 uses a tuned circuit on the vertical input (for the  3 to 6
MHz range anyways). That inductor (L1 on the schematic) is resonated against the
tuning capacitor (330 pF according to the manual), all the stray capacity AND
the shunt capacity from the coax cable. In other words, inductor L1 is tuned to
absorb ALL the shunt capacity from the coax cable (as well as stray capacity due
to connectors,etc).

With all the capacity 'zero'ed out' by L1, you only have your series capacitor
from the IF amp plate connection (e.g. 5 pF which is -9,500 ohms) working as a
voltage divider against the Vertical Gain adjustment pot in the SB-610 (100K
ohms).

Basically the only limit on the choice of coax and the length of the coax is the
ability of L1 to tune out whatever shunt capacity the coax presents.  Loss,
inductive effects, etc of the coax should be pretty much zip at 3395 kHz (e.g. a
wavelength is 80 meters or about 240 ft!).

One thing that could be happening is that L1 is running out of range (i.e.
max'ing out).  This is fairly easy to see - you should get a 'double peak' as
you tune the inductor.  If you don't, then you are at maximum and your should
reduce the shunt capacitor (e.g. from 330 pF to 270 pF).

Now past this point, my previous post is correct.  To get more signal, you can
increase the value of the series cap (e.g. from 5 pF to 10 pF).  The limit is
how much additional load you can tolerate on the IF Amp.

Whew!  I hope that is correct and that it helps.

73
Bob, WA2CKY