[Heath] Fw: Heathkit SB-610

Robert Groh rgroh at swbell.net
Thu Mar 8 09:36:54 EST 2012

Morris has it dead on.   If you think about it this way:

You have a cap (5 pf in your example) connected from the source (the IF Amp
plate) to a load (the coax which drives the SB-610 and then the input circuit of
the 610 which has some (assumed) input impedance - lets say the 610 input looks
like 20K ohms in parallel with 10 pf.

For all practical purposes, we can say the coax just looks like a shunt
capacitor (x ft at y pf/ft).  This coax capacity is in parallel with the 610's
input.

So we wind up with our source driving through a 5 pf cap to a parallel RC
network - and the easiest way to think of this is that the combination is a
voltage divider (yeah, I am simplifying it!).   As an example, assume we have 5
pf in the series capacitor, 15 pf of coax capacity, 10 pf of input C at the 610
and we ignore the R component. We would have a voltage divider of 5 pf working
against 25 pf or a 5/30 voltage divider.

You can readily see that the longer the cable or the higher the coax capacity
per ft, the higher the voltage division ratio. You can of course increase the
series cap to offset this (e.g. 10 pf --> 10/35 ratio) but the trade off is that
you are now affecting the tuning of the IF stage more.

A picture is worth a thousand words but hopefully this will help.

73
Bob Groh, WA2CKY