[Heath] IG -57A schematic received

Kenneth G. Gordon kgordon2006 at frontier.com
Mon Mar 19 11:59:42 EDT 2012

Thanks, ALL of you who sent me the necessary information.

I bought the IG-57A off eBay for very little cost, since I needed the
case/cabinet for another project.

However, when I received the unit and removed the rather grundgy top and
bottom covers, I was very thoroughly amazed at the incredibly careful
construction. In all the years I have been dealing with Heathkits, I have never
seen such very high-quality work!

At first, I thought it was a factory-built job, but on closer inspection, it became
very obvious that the original owner was the builder.

ALL wiring was laid out at right-angles, long runs were carefully laced, all
solder joints were perfectly done, and the flux residue had been carefully
cleaned off, probably with alcohol. There was not one single loose screw or
no-solder joint in the entire unit. Leads from coaxes were at the absolute
minimum, etc. And the original owner/builder had scratched his information
in the top of the sweep-generator housing.

I was amazed!

Although such a unit has absolutely no use in my shop, I was very reluctant
to take it apart until I had determined that there was nothing in it I could use
for my next project, a "high-performance" crystal tester and evaluator.

>From the schematic, it became obvious that I could use the internal power
supplies, the DC amplifier, and possibly the sweep generator.

Although the sweep-generator does not, in its present configuration, cover
the frequency ranges I need for my favorite method for aligning receivers,
the so-called "visual" method, it appears that it can be modified to do so, so I
have very carefully dismantled and saved all the parts necessary for that.

Again, I thank everyone who sent me the necessary information.

vy 73,

Ken Gordon W7EKB