[Heath] Marauder problems...

Alexander N. Gerli ac1wye at gmail.com
Thu Sep 13 18:35:30 EDT 2012

Hi, gang,

I'm working on a Marauder to get it going. Clean unit, nicely wired, but has
old, tired, out-of-spec components. LV and bias were low to begin with. The
6500 ohm sand resistor in the bias was 7.5k, probably from overheating. The
20kohm 25W in the HV chain was about 35k. Put a 10W Ohmite in where the 6500
was and a 25kohm Dale where the old wirewound was. Changed the two 30uF old
electros with 33uF/450V so that's done. Put in 1N4005 (600V/1A) diodes in
the bias chain too. Waiting for new 150uF/500V electros for the HV chain and
a 40-40/500V for the LV. That should help.

Checked and replaced a few tubes.

Brought it up on the Variac with the changes so far (less the big caps) and
am getting 650V HV on the panel meter. One thing worrisome right away is
that I can't get the relay to close by PTT or key. Given that the PTT line
goes through the VOX circuitry, that's gonna be a mess to trace. I've
cleaned all the switch contacts and used DeOxit. Appears that the only
wiring changes made are the ones I've done to replace the resistors that
were way off, the filter caps and the diodes.

The rig is too clean to be a parts-car. I need some help with this. Wish I'd
kept the Marauder I had about ten years back; that was spot-on great, but my
then-XYL sold it on me.

73,

Sandy AC1Y

Alexander N. (Sandy) Gerli
'Corgi Cottage'
548 Allred Mill Road
Mount Airy, NC 27030-2202
919-625-7181

A Scotsmen walks about 900 miles each year
Scotsmen drink about 40 gallons of whisky each year
Scotsmen get about 25 miles per gallon