[Heath] HW100 loss of signal

Dick KF4NS kf4nsradio at verizon.net
Fri Sep 14 15:45:18 EDT 2012

Just when I thought I  had all the problems solved and put the rig back in service, this ruins my day.

I had the rig on 20M with great signals coming in, all is well for about an hour and suddenly the S-meter
drops to zero and audio goes dead. I just touched the band switch which had been completely gone over
during maintenance, and full service was again back. All contacts were working fine and tested for
continuity. All bands were performing fine. I let it go and a while later it did it again. This time I
switched from USB to LSB and it perked right up and both sidebands were fine. I decided to try 40M and
15M. They never failed. Went back to 20M and guess what? It did it again !!

Some things are pretty self apparent and a bit of digging can get things going again. I just cannot
rationalize this MODE switch BAND switch thing only on 20M. Scanning over the schematic I could not begin
to make the connection.  What seems so very odd is the loss of RF input shown on the S-meter and total
loss of audio at the same time.

Scratch your heads, rattle your brains and throw some darts at the schematic and please let me know what
makes the bell ring.

Thanks VM and 73, Dick KF4NS
St Petersburg, FL 33714 USA
Keep The Glow!