[Heath] Solid-state tubes...

Kenneth G. Gordon kgordon2006 at frontier.com
Fri Dec 20 17:44:21 EST 2013

Someone here, other than Gary, asked about solid-state replacements for
certain tubes.

Here is the one that I used for my 1L6 and 1T4s.

http://www.solidstatetubes.com/

E-mail address: eea101_2000 at yahoo.com

I was very satisfied with what he sold me. They worked perfectly in the
receiver of my AN/GRC-109 setup, the R-1004, and were more stable and
exhibited much less noise.

BTW, let's be very clear: solid-state replacements for SOME tubes has been
tried repeatedly since at least 1960. Successful replacement of "just any old
tube" with solid-state devices has NOT been successful. Solid-state
replacements of CERTAIN tubes, in CERTAIN applications, has been
successful, to an extent.

Here is one for the 12AX7.

http://www.tubemodules.com/SolidStateTubes.html

This fellow above aims mainly at audiophiles though.

Here is another one:

<http://eshop.amtelectronics.com/6l6-12ax7-amt-electronics-solid-state-tube
s.html>

The ORIGINAL solid-state tubes were either "Tubesters" or "FETrons".
These can still be found various places if you look for them.

There is also a PDF book available on how to make your OWN FETrons,
here:

<http://ebookbrowsee.net/fetron-solid-state-vacuum-tube-replacement-pdf-d3
71569341>

And here is a very short on-line article on the FETRON.

http://www.philipstorr.id.au/radio/technical/The_Fetron.pdf

Lastly, if you go to eBay and search on "solid state tube" you will get a bunch
of hits, although most of those are rectifiers, and many are solid-state
equipment. There is also a solid-state 6L6 being offered to the audio crowd.

However, for the 6AL5, there is this one:

Item # 200909885162

For the 12AU7, try this:

<http://www.hawestv.com/amp_projects/amp_solid_tube/fetpreamp_200v1.h
tm>

And here is an article on making some for the 75S3 receiver.

<http://www.radiomuseum.org/forum/substiution_of_electron_tubes_by_semi
conductor_replacements.html>

Anyway, that is all I have found so far.

I guess I'll go digging through my junque boxes to find my 6AL5 and 12AU7
Tubesters or FETrons. Those were originally in my Heathkit VTVM, and were
part of an original Heathkit replacement project, available from Heathkit by
special order.

Kenneth G. Gordon W7EKB

"Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway."--- John   Wayne