[Heath] SB-1000 Amplifier - value for L401 ?

John Klingelhoeffer wb4lnm at aol.com
Fri Feb 1 19:15:37 EST 2013

Hello everyone;

Does anyone have information on the the value for an inductor, L401, in the metering circuit of the SB-1000 RF power amplifier?

The manual just gives its Heathkit part number as 230-6781, and describes it as a 'ferrite choke', but no value of inductance, resistance, or current handling capability.  It appears that it limits a current pulse from destroying the meters and D401 in case of a plate short to ground.  While I have the schematic, I don't have the PCB drawings to see if this is an axial or toroid inductor (although that doesn't help much for the component values).

It would be great to see the purchasing / specification drawing for the 230-6781 component, since that would state those values, but I'm guessing at this point that drawing is long gone.  I don't know if this is used in any other Heathkit equipment where more information might be available or could be deduced.

Thanks for your time to read this.  73

John...  WB4LNM
"One of the Hams from Heath"