[Heath] EUW-24 (IM-18) ohms not working - fixed.

Kenneth G. Gordon kgordon2006 at frontier.com
Fri Feb 22 15:49:21 EST 2013

On 22 Feb 2013 at 13:55, Ken Winterling wrote:

> Ken,
>
> Does it fail on all ranges or only on a specific range(s)?
> Did you move the switch on the probe(s) to AC/Ohms (the DC position
> puts a 1M resistor in series with the probe)?

Well, Ken, you have it correct: I misread the label **I** put on my own
home-made probes and simply had the switch in the DC position.

Crapola.

I am (not really) moritifed. :-(

It is working fine, and as Brad so wisely pointed out, I much prefer an analog
meter to a digital one for many purposes around the shop.

For one thing, it is so much easier to see "trends". Besides, for all normal
work, I really don't need 1% accuracy, and seldom even 5% for that matter.

The only thing I would really like to have for the EUW-24 is that bracket that
goes around the meter so one can hang it under the bottom shelf of a bench.
I may have to make my own substitute if no one one here happens to have
one. Or maybe I'll simply drill some holes in the top and screw it to the shelf.
I am running out of room on my bench.

I also have an ancient V-7, but I need a new meter for it. The old one works
fine, but the clear plastic cover is badly cracked.

I just bought a very-well-built T-3 Signal Tracer off eBay for a very
reasonable sum, which I intend to restore and use. I already have a restored
T-12, but I wanted the wattmeter function of the T-3.

I'll be building new probes for the T-3 in the process. Mine came without any.

I've already built a proper probe for the T-12 and that has been a very handy
instrument around here for the restoration of 70+ year old radios.

Ken W7EKB