[Heath] Fw: SB-301 help

Glen Zook gzook at yahoo.com
Wed Jan 2 17:50:49 EST 2013

I vote #1.  However, for the SB-301 and NOT the SB-101 over the SB-303 (fat fingers?).

Stability and selectivity are about the same.  Both receivers use the same i.f. filter.  After 5-minutes, or less "warm up", the SB-301 is just as stable, if not more so, than the SB-303.  Calibration on the SB-301 is usually as good as, in some cases, actually a little bit better, than the SB-303.  This is assuming that the SB-303 has the TRW version of the LMO.  If not, then the calibration of the LMO is going to be a LOT better in the SB-301.

Because of internal noise, the SB-301 is generally more sensitive than the SB-303.

Reliability:  For holding alignment, both are about the same.  For component reliability, there are certain transistors in the SB-303 (especially in the audio circuits) that are prone to failure.  However, every so often, one needs to unplug and then re-install the circuit boards because the edge connectors do become corroded and that causes problems.  Unplugging and then re-installing the circuit boards usually cleans the contact surface and eliminates connectivity problems for a year, or so.  Then the operation needs to be repeated.

For repair:  The dual gate MOSFET devices in the SB-303 are getting very difficult to locate these days and are fairly expensive when found.  One must have the fairly scarce extender cards to easily work on the SB-303, especially when aligning.  The 6AS11 tube in the SB-301 is not as common as the remainder of the tubes but is still available.  One has to be careful when repairing the SB-303 because of the possibility of "lifting" the plating from the printed circuit boards.  As for the majority of components, both use commonly available parts.

For overload:  The SB-301 wins "hands down".  The SB-303 overloads very easily on strong signals and is very difficult to use if there are other amateur radio stations nearby transmitting on the same band.  "Intermod" is basically non-existent on the SB-301 but can be a problem with the SB-303.

As for heat:  Yes, the tubes in the SB-301 do put out more heat.  However, this is usually not a concern, especially when the matching SB-401 is used with the receiver.

Glen, K9STH

Website:  http://k9sth.com