[Heath] Marauder problem - Plate Ip

Alexander N. Gerli ac1wye at gmail.com
Sat Jan 12 15:45:42 EST 2013

Hello, gang!

Well, after a break away from this critter, I'm back to it.

I have a problem with wicked excessive Ip. Pins the meter against the peg
immediately.

I've thought of several areas to check: C39 the .125ohm resistor at the 6146
cathodes, just above ground. Well, that's OK. The bias string where the
-140V key-up goes to -52V key-down when the key is closed. Haven't checked
that yet, but I have replaced the whole relay which was not closing
correctly. That relay is the same one in the SB-10 I've found out, and I got
a good relay from a parts-car. There are two caps in the PA compartment, an
old Micamold coupling cap .001uF/2kV from the plate choke to the output
Pi-Net and a .005uF/1.5kV disc ceramic bypassing the HV line for rf. Both or
one of these may be bad and I'm awaiting replacements.

I'm suspicious of the bias, but I don't know if anyone on the list may have
suggestions where else to look.

Also, I wonder whether the 6146s are self oscillating because of bad
neutralization? Now, that would send the Ip into orbit, and I need to get
that set. I would prefer doing it with my VTVM at the RF Out jack, with the
5R4 HV rectifier pulled.

Recommendations, anyone?

73,

Sandy AC1Y

Alexander N. (Sandy) Gerli
'Corgi Cottage'
548 Allred Mill Road
Mount Airy, NC 27030-2202
919-625-7181

A Scotsman walks about 900 miles each year
Scotsmen drink about 40 gallons of whisky each year
Scotsmen get about 25 miles per gallon