[Heath] VF-2031: Removing the external microphone

John Klingelhoeffer wb4lnm at aol.com
Fri Jul 5 21:00:15 EDT 2013

Ron:  The transceiver has a flexible miniature plastic connector.  To remove the microphone from the transceiver, one has to squeeze the connector with your fingers and turn it counterclockwise about half a turn or so.  Then you can pull it off the radio.
Be careful.  The plastic connector shell on my microphone cable cracked many years ago as the plastic lost it's plasticizers, hardened, and cracked.  Mine will no longer will secure the microphone to the radio.  The connector Heath picked had to be small, and it had to be cheap.  The external microphone was an option for the VF-2031, and the price had to be 'reasonable'.  The connector and cable was bought as an assembly from an external vendor, as I remember it.
I've casually watched for a replacement connector for my unit, but have never pursued it seriously.  The best candidates I have seen are from a company named "Lemo".  They are small and have great precision.   However, they are VERY expensive.  If you look into it, and find one, I'm sure the list here would enjoy hearing of part numbers and sources.
WB4LNM