[Heath] [Heathkit] Determining Asking Prices

Chris Kepus ckepus at comcast.net
Fri Nov 15 11:41:24 EST 2013

Excellent question, Gary.

You've already ID'ed the best and most easily obtained benchmark for actual
sale prices for equipment in all states of condition, etc.

A couple of other important considerations for sellers:  availability and
value of seller's time (administrative, packing, shipping, manage customer
issues) to market your items; urgency or lack thereof in getting items sold,
desired (or needed) profit margin,  and others: how rare is the item?, for
example.  Selection of best venue(s) (eBay, Craigslist, local "Penny Saver",
ham forums, swap meet, estate sale, etc.)

Pricing: After factoring in the above considerations as well as the ones
you've mentioned, and, having determined a average "SOLD" price for each
unit, you do the same thing an appraiser does: Here are a few examples of
what I mean:
You have an "average physical condition", easily available Heathkit Blooper.
Benchmark sale price is average of comparables on eBay. (all %'s below are
relative to this benchmark)
If you take time to determine it actually works (all functions), add 25% to
50% ; use fixed price w/Best Offer; make video and post on YouTube.
If you need to sell it quickly, deduct 35% - 50%; use fixed price w/Best
Offer
If you need it sold and gone now, eBay auction style; start w/low price (10%
of benchmark)

The list could go on and on.... but, the most important consideration of all
is how to find and appeal to a likely buyer.

My .02.

73,
Chris
W7JPG