[Heath] HL-2200 problem solved

Alexander N. Gerli ac1wye at gmail.com
Sat Nov 23 22:35:17 EST 2013

Hi, folks,

Beware of what seems, because Murphy has other ideas...

When I took the cover off my amp, the first thing I wanted to check was the
bandswitch. Sure enough, the brass coupler between the input and the tank
wafer had gone loose. The tank wafer would not move with the front wafer.

So, I had to disassemble the front panel and remove the tubes to get some
access. Also had to remove the top screw holding the tank coil (there was
no screw in the bottom standoff when I got the amp).

Took a few hours, but I managed to remove the shaft coupler using some new
hemostat forceps I'd just bought on the 'Bay. Finally got the coupler back
in and the phenolic shaft in place. Got the bandswitch wafer so it made
contact in proper sync with the input wafer. Talk about brain surgery. Once
that was secure, it was a matter of reassembly and checking over all my
work.

So far, the amp starts up fine and the voltages are correct. Since it's
late, I won't try putting power to it until tomorrow.

So much for my suspicions about C29. The tank wafer wasn't moving.

73, Sandy AC1Y

Alexander N. Gerli, Sr.
548 Allred Mill Road
Mount Airy, NC 27030-2202

Scotsmen walk about 900 miles each year.
A Scotsman drinks around 45 gallons of Whisky a year.
Scotsmen get about 20 Miles P