[Heath] HL-2200 problem!

Alexander N. Gerli ac1wye at gmail.com
Fri Nov 22 23:18:24 EST 2013

Hi, gang,

Gads, Murphy is having a ball in my shack...

I'm firing up my restored HL-2200 for the first time with a nice fresh set
of tubes. Both the old tubes that came with it had grid-to-filament shorts
(BANG and BANG).

I was careful when I rebuilt the tank. I installed an original SB-221 tank
coil and carefully rewired it to the tank coil taps. Reinstalled the Tune
and Load caps and the doorknobs and the parasitic chokes. Got everything
cleaned up and looking like new.

I ran the tubes with no load for about four hours to cook them a bit.
Decided to put some drive to them. Up to 200MA, and dipped the plate. Whoa!
the Tune condenser had no effect at all and NO output, so I shut her right
down and got out the Manual.

The "In case of" section mentions checking the rear bandswitch wafer to be
sure it's set right. Well, it's possible that I didn't set it right, but I
remember reading the part about making sure the wafer contacts Pins 6 and
12 only when the front wafer (input) is set to 80M. I don't have it apart
yet, but will do that this weekend. That makes sense to me that the tank
wafer might not be set right. The other possibilities are L7 on the input
side being installed wrong, but I didn't work on any of the input wiring;
it looked fine to me and original. Or, the T/R Relay might be smoked? I
doubt that, because the transceiver still hears fine on Rx. Now, that
doesn't mean the Tx contacts might be bad.

Now, with those two "BANGS" with the old tubes, it it possible that I might
have lost one or both of the doorknobs? Or, maybe the inline choke going
from the HV feedthrough to the big plate choke? I was able to draw Ip, so
the metering is fine. Anyone have any thoughts on this?

73, Sandy AC1Y

Alexander N. Gerli, Sr.
548 Allred Mill Road
Mount Airy, NC 27030-2202

Scotsmen walk about 900 miles each year.
A Scotsman drinks around 45 gallons of Whisky a year.
Scotsmen get about 20 Miles Per Gallon.