[Heath] [Heathkit] 6146B Issues

Kenneth G. Gordon kgordon2006 at frontier.com
Mon Oct 14 16:10:04 EDT 2013

On 14 Oct 2013 at 3:37, pmarkavage at juno.com wrote:

> I've never run across any of the rigs that I've owned over the last 50
> years where 6146B's would not work in place of 6146's and A's and that
> includes Heathkit (my original Apache has been running 6146B's since
> the 70's), Hallicrafters, B&W, Johnson, Kenwood, and others. I won't
> refute Glen's original findings (obviously he had a problem with them
> back then) but for anyone to say they won't work in all rigs as a
> replacement is highly exaggerated.

Pete:

I don't recall anyone SAYING that they wouldn't work in all rigs. I do
remember someone ASKING if that was a problem with all rigs, to which I
responded with "No.".

>From my reading and experiences with Heathkit gear, beginning in 1956, the
ONLY Heathkit rigs which had troubles with the later 6146s were the "all
band" transceivers....ONLY. The HW-101 and SB-101 in particular. And
even then it was "SOME", not all.

I had trouble with 6146Bs in both my HW-101 (the one with the sticker on the
back) and my SB-102. Switching to the older variety cured neutralization
problems.

I have never had any trouble with late model 6146s in any other gear,
Heathkit or otherwise.

This includes DX-35, DX-60, DX-100, SB-400 of the Heathkits. It was ONLY
with my HW-101, on the back of which was that sticker I mentioned, and my
SB-102. In fact, I have a Heathkit service bulletin which says basically the
same thing: use only 6146 or 6146A in the HW-101 and SB-100/101/102,
but does NOT address any other Heathkit transmitter or transceiver. That
same service bulletin also mentions a particular BRAND of 6146 over others,
but I don't remember which one at this point.

I do have all the applicable Heathkit service bulletins posted to my website
for anyone who would care to search them.

If it is necessary, I will dig that one out and post it somewhere where
everyone can read it.

Glenn is correct, and is backed up by Heathkit: late version 6146s do not
work well in SOME HW-101s and SB-101s. Notice the word "SOME".

Ken W7EKB