[Heath] [Heathkit] 6146B Issues

Glen Zook gzook at yahoo.com
Mon Oct 14 11:40:29 EDT 2013

JPG:

There are a lot of rigs, especially the Japanese transceivers, that were designed to use the 6146B/8298A.

The neutralization in the Collins S-Line and KWM-2- series is a bit different from the usual circuit.  The original neutralization circuit used a ceramic trimmer as the neutralization capacitor and, unfortunately, in well over 95% of the units, if the final amplifier tubes were replaced with the 6146B/8298A, or with a 6146W with a code date of after mid 1965, the ceramic trimmer literally "burned up".

The revised neutralization circuit that Collins "came up with", uses an air variable capacitor and there is a fixed capacitor and one resistor that are also changed.

Heath had a special run of General Electric 6146B/8298A tubes made to use in the HW-101 series transceivers.  However, those tubes were basically 6146A/8298 tubes.  Heath put a note in with those tubes which said that the only 6146B/8298A tubes that could be used in the HW-101 were those special tubes.

It was unfortunate that RCA used the 6146B/8298A nomenclature for those tubes.  RCA also initially said that the 6146B/8298A tubes were completely backwards compatible with the earlier versions.  Because of this, the military changed the 6146W tubes from the 6146A/8298 to the 6146B/8298A WITHOUT changing the nomenclature!  Unfortunately, the backwards compatibility did not work out in all situations.

In the commercial two-way radios, which are type accepted, those radios designed for the 6146 and 6146A/8298 tubes  would have to be modified to use the 6146B/8298A tubes.  Making such modifications violate the type acceptance!  However, especially Motorola, designed the later versions of the Motrac (the HHT "E" models, the LHT, and the MHT) to use the 8552/8032A/6883B tubes (the 12-volt equivalent of the 6146B series).

Glen, K9STH

Website:  http://k9sth.com