[Heath] Heathkit HX 20 Revival

John King k5pgw at yahoo.com
Sun Apr 27 16:33:03 EDT 2014

I obtained a previously owned HX 20 MOBILE SSB and CW transmitter in good cosmetic condition. I have had it for about four years and decided to connect it to the matching AC supply, I built one from a kit in 1962 and used as a fixed station until I traded it off in 1967.Upon looking underneath the chassis of the one I have I can't believe I built one from a kit in 1962, while attending Graduate School at LSU. It was a great little transmitter.. I wouldn't attempt to do that today at almost 76 years of age.

While familiarizing myself  with the HX 20 I changed it over to 6.3 vac filaments and connected it to the matching power supply. So far, all I get is in the spot position at 3.750 KC on a receiver across the room. The spot signal is strong but so far, I haven't been able to get any power out of the final or any reading on the relative output meter. I have it to a Bird watt meter and a Heathkit dummy load. If there are any HX20 folks who have one or are super familiar with the HX 20, I would appreciate  your input about what might be limiting the function to a VFO spotting signal,  I seem to remember that there were weak spots in the HX20 even though  it was a great little transmitter. I seem to remember a 6EA8 oscillator/miser that  might give problems. I know that the 6EA8
has always been suspect in any rig.

The benefit of your experience and knowledge of the HX 20 will be appreciated. This transmitter has been on the shelf for years.,
but has been kept in a good environment. Thanks and 73, John, K5PGW