[Heath] Heath SB 300 series receivers

Guy Giacopuzzi gggdds at js-net.com
Sun Dec 14 19:02:02 EST 2014

To truly be "matching" according to the era, you should use a 300' with
a 400' and a 301' or 303' with a 401', but any 3xx rcvr will work with
any 4xx xmtr....the 303' is solid state, all the way thru, of course,
and add's a bit of stability to the system.   For years, the 303' was
the most sensitive receiver on the market, bar none. I bought my 303/401
combo in 1972 or 73, and when I bought them, the 301' was out of
production by then.  The 310' and the 313' were the international
shortwave versions of the 301' and 303' respectively, and while they can
be used with the 4xx' series, they don't have the LMO/HFO/BFO outputs to
transceive with them...they do have 80,40, and 20 meter ham bands
though, and using their mute plugs, can be made to "work" as separates
on those bands, assuming they have the appropriate filters for SSB and
CW.  Internally, they are identical to their ham band counterparts, and
theoretically, these outputs could be added; most hams just buy the
300/301/303 because they just don't cost that much, then have the 310'
or 313' on the side.  The latter receivers do command a premium, as they
were never as popular as their ham-band brothers.  I estimate there's
one 310' for every 25  301/300's out there, and much fewer 313's.  I own
but one 313' and it was hard to find....
When you buy a 3xx receiver, try to find one with all the filters
(three: am, ssb and cw).  The am filter is the hardest to find, and
technically, not necessary as no 4xx xmtr has am, but I think there's a
mod out there to make it am if you want to go real nostalgic with the am
boys...there's still a good amount of am activity out there.  Write back
if you need more info....oh, yes, check the Pensen book for the details
on the differences between the 300' and the 301'...I think the main one
is the ability to switch between transceive and separate VFO
control--the 300' can do both, but the 301' does it with the flip of a
front panel switch...
Guy,
WA6OQQ