[Heath] Fw: AM Crystal filter for SB-303

Glen Zook gzook at yahoo.com
Tue Dec 23 09:48:44 EST 2014

One problem with the AM filter for the SB-301 and SB-303 is that it is WAY too narrow for decent AM operation.  The AM filter for the SB-300 was 3.5 kHz wide and the AM filter for the SB-301 and SB-303 was 3.75 kHz wide.  That is just way too narrow for good sounding AM audio.
The AM filter that was supplied with the SWL versions, SB-310 and SB-313, is 5.0 kHz wide and the audio does "sound" better than with the 3.5 kHz or 3.75 kHz filters.  However, even the 5.0 kHz filter constrains the audio.
One can get somewhat better sounding AM audio by tuning to one side and, basically, receiving only one side band. Glen, K9STH